Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Yearling


I finally finished The Yearling the other day, for my summer reading. It was a really great book, and very interesting if you love the outdoors. One of my plans over the summer was to become more attached to nature, and this definitely helped. It was an amazing book that was based on the beautiful scenery of central Florida and a little boy's views on all parts of life and his journey towards manhood. One of my favorite parts was when Jody and his dad Penny were hunting and happened to be at the perfect time and place to watch the whooping cranes dance right as the sun was going down. It tells about how they caught the beautiful birds doing what's natural to them, and they felt very honored to witness such things. Here's some of my favorite quotes from the book:
"Women ran in breeds, like dogs. Two women could say the same words and the meaning would not be the same, as the bark of two dogs, one menacing and the other friendly." (When Jody was around a very nice lady, very different from his mother.)

"Women were alright when the cooked good things to eat. The rest of the time they did nothing but make trouble." (I totally agree with this, but I wish I could tell Jody that he will quickly get over it, and the girls his age would quickly change to very nice people.)




1 comment:

  1. Love that you enjoyed this. Makes me want to reread it. Also the quotes you chose are so funny, sounds just like something a boy would say!

    ReplyDelete